In 1780, Thomas McGill set up one of the first shipyards in the area, located near to Newark Castle . 1 ship was built Jessie a Wood Sailing Vessel Brig, Cargo Vessel. Launched 4/08/1780. For Steel & Co, Glasgow.
Blackwood and Gordon (Castle Street Yard)
They built 201 vessels between 1861 and 1900
The yard closed for 2 years between 1887 and 1889
Using information from clydeships.co.uk. Not every ship on the list has a yard number or name still work in progress.
1861 The first with a name Osborne, Yard No 39 was an Iron Screw Steamer, Cargo General, for George Gibson & Co, Leith.
1900 The last ship built Pioneer, yard No 243, Steel Paddle Steamer, River Steamer Passenger/ Cargo, for Yangtze Trading Co (via Yunan Company) shipped in pieces, re erected and launched by Shanghai Engineering, Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co
Clyde Shipbuilding and Engineering Co Ltd was formed in 1900 to take over the yard, and almost immediately started receiving orders.
The yard was modernised, Mr John Reid shipbuilder was in charge of the practical side of the business with Mr Robert Carswell the commercial department.
They built over 100 ships in the following quarter century.
1900’s A series of ships were ordered by British, Danish and other countries. The yard also made coastal passenger ships for Australian and British companies.
1914 – Shipbuilders, Engineers, Boilermakers, Ship and Yacht repairers.
WW1 The Yard made standard ships as well as four gunboats.
1919 The Yard was taken over by Amalgamated Industrials Ltd. Which later became part of John Slater Group. The yard moved into a new phase of building even larger vessels.
From 1920 to 1928 the yard made 11 large ships and several Great Lake traders.
1925 See Aberconway for information on Shipbuilding h.p. Produced in 1904 and 1925
1927 the John Slater Group collapsed and the yard was sold to James Lamont who closed it until 1938.
They then built ships, reverting to repairs during the war and becoming a full shipyard once hostilities were over.
In 1979 the company announced that it was to give up Shipbuilding and concentrate on repair work, which had been expanded by the opening of a 113m dry-Dock in 1966.
Smith & Houston ship breaking yard
Scrapped the great French Liner L’Atlantique in 1936, she was a tourist attraction as she was taken apart, also the aircraft carrier Perseus in 1958.