John Brown’s Titan Crane

Titan Clydebank more commonly known as the Titan Crane. 

Is a 161ft.  high cantilever crane, weighs about 800 tonnes, and sits on 4 concrete piles sunk to a depth of 75ft. The arm of the cantilever is 150ft. long. The tower is 39ft. square, and its centre sits just 35ft. from the edge of the quay.

It was designed to be used in the lifting of heavy-equipment, such as engines and boilers, during the fitting out of battleships and ocean liners at the John Brown & Company shipyard. It was also the worlds first electric powered cantilever crane, and the largest crane of its type at the time of its completion. 

Situated at the end of a u-shaped fitting out basin, the crane was used to construct some of the largest ships of the 20th century, including the Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth and Queen Elizabeth 2. The cargoes A listed historical structure was refurbished in 2007 as a tourist attraction and shipbuilding museum. 

In 1905 a £24,600 order for the crane was placed with the Dalmarnock based engineering company Sir William Arrol &Co. Titan was completed 2 years later.

When tested 24/04/1907, Titan was the largest crane ever built with a capacity of 160 tonnes (160 long tons; 180 short tons) at a radius of 85 ft. The original lift capacity was updated tom203 long tonnes in 1938, to allow the installation of new long rage gun’s turrets into ships such as the Duke of York. 

1908’s The crane fell into disuse in and fell into disrepair. 

1988 the crane was recognised as a category A listed historical structure 

2005 the urban regeneration company Clydebank re-built started a £3.75million restoration project.

2007 In August was opened to the public. With a lift installed for visitors to ascend to the jib, an emergency eviction stair was also installed. 

2015 a bungee jump was added. 

2012 the crane was awarded an Engineering and Heritage Award by the Institute of Mechanical Engineers who described it as a magnificent example of mechanical engineering 

2013 she was designated as an International  Historic and Civil and Mechanical Engineering Landmark